War Requiem

More
20 Jun 2008 14:07 #1109384576 by tigger
War Requiem was created by tigger
I just managed to watch this, at long, long last. What a beautiful film! All in black and white, incorporating real footage from WWI, and with only Laurence Olivier reading Wilfred Owen's poetry (which I happen to like very much) and the actual piece of music by Benjamin Britten -- there is no audible dialogue.

It's not a light, entertaining 92 minutes, but rather a raging and yet -- at times -- delicate cry against war and all its terrible waste.

Tilda Swinton as the nurse is hauntingly lovely; Sean Bean is in there, too, as a German soldier; British character actress Patricia Hayes plays the British mother, and of course, Nat plays the soldier/poet Owen himself. Beautifully. He was only about 26 in this, his first 'official' film -- just one year younger than Owen himself at the time of his death. It's deeply moving.

I do wish they'd release this on DVD: it takes more than one viewing. Despite the subject matter and the footage, I found this an extremely poetic vision -- quite brilliant.

I hope the rest of you manage to catch it sometime, and not just the scenes in which Nat plays. You really do need to see the entire -- breathtaking -- film.

Tigger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2008 16:44 - 20 Jun 2008 16:45 #1109384579 by Lisa
Replied by Lisa on topic Re:War Requiem
Hello Tigger,
I agree with you, this is a very good film.
The worse things ever is war!!
It´s not easy to watch, but yes it is a: war requiem.
Gretings Lisa

Greeting from www.ruhr2010.de
Last edit: 20 Jun 2008 16:45 by Lisa.

More
21 Jun 2008 05:25 #1109384584 by webmistress
Replied by webmistress on topic Re:War Requiem
Dear all

for those of you who live near or even in Liverpool, there's a fascinating event coming up on June 26th, read more about it here . For those who can make it: have a great time.

Cheers!

webmistress

"I don't know. I need help. I'm sorry. And something else. [...] I forgot it."
~ Armand Gamache

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck." A simplified version of Occam's razor.

More
21 Jun 2008 07:49 #1109384585 by tigger
Replied by tigger on topic Re:War Requiem
Wow, Jessika! I wish I could be there.

Perhaps if someone from this forum attends, they could 'report' back to us all afterwards. I'd like very much to hear about it.

Tigger

More
21 Jun 2008 10:03 #1109384586 by tigger
Replied by tigger on topic Re:War Requiem
Good news! I just discovered on amazon.com that they're re-issuing War Requiem on DVD in early September. It's already possible to pre-order it.

(Maybe somebody somewhere is watching this forum and finally taking note that there are people who would like to be able to find Nat's earlier work more easily... I wish.)

Tigger

More
21 Jun 2008 10:15 - 21 Jun 2008 10:36 #1109384587 by webmistress
Replied by webmistress on topic Re:War Requiem
Yes Tigger

Actually I was just about to post it. Actually I'm just making some corrections and uploading things for it. Kino International is the issuer... I'll get that out later on as I'll get more details from them. Just be a tad patient with us...

Cheers!

webmistress

PS. And uups I forgot to re-mention it. This movie is actually out on DVD in Japan! It has a special English version on it. So for those who can't wait: order it via amazon.jp .

"I don't know. I need help. I'm sorry. And something else. [...] I forgot it."
~ Armand Gamache

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck." A simplified version of Occam's razor.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2008 10:36 by webmistress.

Moderators: webmistress
Time to create page: 0.044 seconds

We use cookies on our website. Read our Policy