The Word of God

More
27 Aug 2005 21:01 #1109378426 by jojo
Replied by jojo on topic Re:The Word of God
I found myself with a few spare hours today and went out looking for "With No One as Witness" to read before the madness of moving starts again. Let me tell you that Elizabeth George's books are FLYING off the shelves, especially that one. I finally found one (I think the last one in town) and am settling down for a read. I can already see that I'm in for some severe shocks....like the difference in Lynley and Havers, of course, but also there's a little more about St. James and Deborah, etc. And Lynley's a Superintendent? :ohmy: Well, the characters are all there, just all jumbled up. :dry: Better get back to them now before they change some more! :)

Joy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2005 21:05 #1109378427 by Lynley1962
Replied by Lynley1962 on topic Re:The Word of God
Good to see that you got the book. You should start with A great deliverance. That was the first book. The books are good, but I like the tv series better. You are in for a few surprises in this book. Have fun reading it.

More
28 Aug 2005 00:05 #1109378428 by gamerchick02
Replied by gamerchick02 on topic Re:The Word of God
Joy,

It's great that you read. It's refreshing to find other people that like to read!

You might also be interested in meetups and things that of that nature. Thats where a bunch of people who are interested in bookcrossing meet up in a place central to their location, and sit and chat about books. It's lots of fun, and you meet new people too.

Look around yahoogroups for groups in your area. Ususally they meet on the second Tuesday of the month, but mine meets on the first Thursday of every month. It varies, depending on the group.

Amy

More
28 Aug 2005 16:01 #1109378429 by jojo
Amy, you are one busy gal with all your sports interests and books, too. That sounds like fun, though.

Lynley, I finished the book and am in shock at what a different person Helen is than on TV. Since I've started with the last one, I think I'll read them in backward order...you know, see what happened just before the one I just finished each time, if that makes any sense. I'm kinda backward anyway. :unsure: I like the TV series much better than the book, too. They are like two different worlds. I'm having trouble getting past Havers being such a slob, but I'm sure I'll warm up to her as I get more of her background from the earlier books. :) Ah, there's nothing like a new project!

Joy

More
28 Aug 2005 16:17 #1109378430 by Lynley1962
Replied by Lynley1962 on topic Re:The Word of God
I like the older books much better. In the ones after Missing Joseph EG is using so many information I don't need that I can hardly keep track of the book. For me it has to be simple. someone committed a murder (or moer) and then Havers and Lynley (or who ever detectives) have to solve it. That's all. It's good that we know a little about their private life but I don't see why I need so much more information. In some other books there are long chapters on Guideon (A traiter to Memory) and Olivia (Playing for the Ashes) and I think that they are so irreleavant to the story that I hardly read these books.

I like the book Helen better than the tv Helen. ON tv she's pretty annoying I think. I think that Lynley deserves a better wife. I don't know if you have seen all the Lynley's including this season but I am happy with the way things go now between Lynely and Helen. Hopefully we won't see her again. I am writing my own version of what might happen next year and I am curious if I am in the right direction.

Havers is such a sweety in both book and series. I think that Sharon Small makes a wonderfull Havers. She is doing such a good job. And then Lynley himself. I saw the series before I did read the book and it did surprise me that he was blonde in the book. I can hardly imagine that. He loks more like a nerd in the books so when I am reading I have Nathaniel Parker in mind as Lynley. I hope you like the other books too. Happy reading.

More
28 Aug 2005 16:54 #1109378431 by jojo
I know what you mean about too much information. There was so much about police operations, etc. that I really didn't care about in the book. I thought EG might be over-compensating for being American by putting so much "knowledge" of the British in there. I could have lived without it, though. I've still got Nat as my image of Lynley and hope that doesn't change. After all, he's the main reason I got interested in the first place! As for the latest season, we haven't gotten it yet over here but I've figured out a lot from reading at this site and also at the Lynley BBC site. Can't wait to actually see them. :)

Joy

Moderators: webmistress
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds

We use cookies on our website. Read our Policy