Lynley books

More
07 May 2012 15:54 - 07 May 2012 15:54 #1109394677 by inspector
Replied by inspector on topic Re: Lynley books
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Large printed books of EG? How thick these books may be? - Especially in German language!
For an example "This Body of Death"
594 pages in English and 827 in German!
I fear I'll not be able to carry them :unsure: .
Nevertheless thanks for the hint, Lynn.
Greetings
Claudia
:) ;) :kiss:
Last edit: 07 May 2012 15:54 by inspector.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2012 15:43 - 08 May 2012 15:45 #1109394678 by Nenne
Replied by Nenne on topic Re: Lynley books
And there's another problem; paperbacks come in different sizes: A or B, which also has en effect on the number of pages...

My bookstore has A and B paperbacks in different sections, so buying a book isn't always easy. Sigh.

And for print size, for reading at home or on train, it doesn't matter. On coach, big print. In car; audio.

Cheers,
Nenne

PS I never read in a car, neither as driver nor passenger

"My love, I would love to come with you but you must first build me a palace" :D
Last edit: 08 May 2012 15:45 by Nenne.

More
10 May 2012 19:09 - 10 May 2012 19:13 #1109394680 by rose4asmile
Replied by rose4asmile on topic Re: Lynley books
Hi Claudia, Nenne and Lynn,

great to read about your "insights".
This just gave me some more to think about and I came up with the overall conclusion, that Barbara (in the books) is protecting herself from life itself, from ending up leading a life like her mother has. She wants something different for herself - albeit she may not exactly know what that is jet. And I think she does not consciously stay ugly she just does not know better for she had so many other things to take care of. In addition she is really shy and insecure.

Then, after beeing partnered up with Lynley and therefor with Lady Helen, Simon and Deborah, she very slowly begins to realize that, because she sees how they live their lives, how caring their families and they themselves are and how they treat her with the same respect and kindness. There is no class-difference involved. And so - again very slowly - she opens up to them during which time she finds out bit after bit what she is missing and starts her still ongoing change and the still ongoing build-up of confidence. Of course there are the usuall setbacks and disappointments (like Lynley treating her badly, for example) to overcome and she is always considering her background. In her mind that still keeps her from "leaving" the working-class she knows well and somehow so despises. Where she comes from people and her own family have let her down so many times that she actually does not know - and is terrified, too - how to accomplish the "leaving". Findind a friend or two would be very helpful in that kind of process but in the end she needs to find her way by herself because she needs to build up a lot more self-esteem and self-consciousness. For finally it all comes down to trust. She has to learn to trust others more - to rely on the help of good friends. To trust, that people can actually be trusted. That people see her how she is and not necessarily where she comes from ...

The question that popps up now is of course: Can she do that, or rather will EG let her do that?
I guess to find that out I just have to wait and read - so, I am waiting ....

Of course all the above mentioned does not answer my initial question why Barbara had to be ugly in the first place to make the world realize the underlying "tragedy". But one can't have everything, right.

So long,
Roswitha

Be pleasant no matter how much it hurts because there is an order to all things!
Last edit: 10 May 2012 19:13 by rose4asmile.

More
31 May 2012 02:07 #1109394701 by LynnGwyneth
Replied by LynnGwyneth on topic Re: Lynley books
WHEW! Well, ladies, I have finally come back to the FORUM after *almost* reading all of EG's Inspector Lynley novels. I only have "Believing the Lie" to go and have started it.

Although, to tell you the truth, my eyes started to hurt and so I cheated and bought the audiobook. It is read by Davina Porter, and, although I wish it were being read by Nat, it is a good listening experience.

LOL, you are SO RIGHT, Claudia and Nenne -- the large print paperbacks were HUGE!!! They were easier on my eyes though so I was happy that I found them used and cheap. Cheap is good! :D

So now I'm caught up with what EG has done with Barbara and her SPOILER
makeover -- but haven't gotten to the end yet!

Hugs,
Lynn

πόλλ' οἶδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δ'ἓν μέγα

Ἀρχίλοχος (c. 680 BC - c. 645 BC)

More
31 May 2012 16:18 #1109394706 by inspector
Replied by inspector on topic Re: Lynley books
Hi Lynn :) ,
wow!! All the books in this short time? Now, I understand, why you haven't been here for a while.
Hoping you enjoyed/enjoy the stories.
When you are ready you can start to listen all the wonderful audio-books Nat read.
By the way, I just got his new Audio "The Red House". :laugh:
Greetings
Claudia

More
29 Jun 2012 18:00 #1109394726 by LynnGwyneth
Replied by LynnGwyneth on topic Re: Lynley books
Hi, Claudia and EVERYONE!!!!

It's good to be back. I had some more reading to do for a class so I still haven't finished Elizabeth George's books. BAD LYNN!!!

But so good to hear all of Nat's news! WOW! A new movie, comedy series, and riding as a jockey. (But I don't want to "hijack" this thread with that.)

I will come back once I finish. Well, hope to come back before then, too.

How have you ladies been? I'll check the appropriate thread for the responses. :)

Hugs,
Lynn

πόλλ' οἶδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δ'ἓν μέγα

Ἀρχίλοχος (c. 680 BC - c. 645 BC)

Moderators: webmistress
Time to create page: 0.041 seconds

We use cookies on our website. Read our Policy