Inspector Lynley Mysteries on YouTube

More
28 May 2011 19:39 #1109393678 by butterfly
Inspector Lynley Mysteries on YouTube was created by butterfly
Hi Nat,s fans!:laugh:

I would like to share with you this lovely news.
I found ILM on YouTube - ravenhaven14 most of series.
Quality uploads, for all fans, who don't have dvds.

Enjoy:cheer:
Jana xxx

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2012 17:51 #1109394399 by LynnGwyneth
Replied by LynnGwyneth on topic Re: Inspector Lynley Mysteries on YouTube
Disclaimer: NO DISRESPECT MEANT!!! :)

This illustrates the dilemma of "pay the artist", which I posed in a question to Nat. Now, I must admit that I watched ALL of the Lynley mysteries on YouTube except for the ones streaming on Netflix before I bought my DVD set.

I was "jonesing" for Lynley Mysteries and couldn't rent them fast enough and so was absolutely delighted to find them on YouTube.

But, isn't this really piracy? I mean, none of the actors will get residuals from the YouTube viewings? Do you see what I mean? I don't know how Netflix works in regards to that. But I'm pretty sure (and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the actors would get a residual from buying a set of DVD's.

I think it's a hard question: is uploading piracy? I think definitely here on this site it is NOT, since we are fortunate enough to have clips and things that Nat aficionados (adas?) couldn't get otherwise: interviews, segments from quiz shows, red carpet events, etc.

AND this is Nat's official site, so it has his blessing, so to speak. (As well as all of Jessika's hard work! :) )

What do y'all think about "Paying the ARTIST" vs. "Fan access to the ART"?

πόλλ' οἶδ' ἀλώπηξ, ἐχῖνος δ'ἓν μέγα

Ἀρχίλοχος (c. 680 BC - c. 645 BC)

More
18 Feb 2012 18:34 #1109394406 by webmistress
Replied by webmistress on topic Re: Inspector Lynley Mysteries on YouTube
Hi Lynn

really a though (but a good) one. Well I prefer to pay for the things I can obtain legally. Of course there are things you simply cannot get and there are countries that don't broadcast everything Nat was appearing in. Still it's a thin line between sharing and stealing. But I'm not a saint. ;) What I do - really - I'm getting my appetite there and then buy stuff I like if I can get it. :cheer:

Frankly speaking I'm enjoying youtube a great deal, tho' I know most of the things by standard of already existing laws there are illegal. No need for new international legislation and I applaud everyone who's been on the streets against this sort of try to get the internet under control of a few companies. Lots of this uploading is appreciation. Please think about it, the fans who upload this stuff don't make any money out of it! B)

And most of them don't upload whole bits of work. Those who do risk very much by doing so and I keep on saying this - and believe me I'm not very popular for doing so. It's not a sign of courage to do it this way, quite the contrary. I'm a fan myself and I know it's not easy to draw the line. But you gotta know where you stand and stop where it's becoming illegal and dangerous for yourself. And thinking about it right to the end you gotta accept that, yes, you are stealing from your star if you're not paying. That's that and that's not what fans do.

The things you see up here with Nat's site aren't full versions of his work, merely citations or excerpts of his appearances on screen. Nat's a generous man and with this website he likes to give something back to his fans. And that's all that has to be said about it. I'm happy to do my bit, have been doing it since 2003 now and I still find joy in making people happy and talk about his work...

Cheers!

webmistress

"I don't know. I need help. I'm sorry. And something else. [...] I forgot it."
~ Armand Gamache

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck." A simplified version of Occam's razor.

More
18 Feb 2012 18:53 #1109394413 by LynnGwyneth
Oh Jessika! Please don't construe -- oops dyslexia kicking in here -- anything I said as a criticism of you or of this site! I know everything is all ship-shape and above board to use a naval metaphor.

I'm also a big fan of Harlan Ellison's and he's absolutely RABID about "Pay the Writer".

But I know that this site has Nat's blessing, and also -- look at my own hypocrisy -- *I* watched all of the Lynley episodes on YouTube! So I benefited from them!

I guess I just wish there were some way to pay a nominal fee -- say $0.10 per "hit" on YouTube materials that have copyright issues -- and then be able to have people upload them legally, without fear of reprisals. I think people would be willing to pay $1.00 to watch a complete Lynley episode -- it's cheaper than renting.

What do you think? :)

More
18 Feb 2012 18:59 #1109394414 by LynnGwyneth
P.S. I'm absolutely, absolutely delighted by this site. As you can probably tell, since I'm spending just about every waking moment on it! :)

It's the best organized and most navigable website I've ever seen, and I'm including Apple's. (Of course, maybe that would make you bop me over the head with a pillow! ;) )

More
18 Feb 2012 19:08 #1109394415 by webmistress
Replied by webmistress on topic Re: Inspector Lynley Mysteries on YouTube
Lynn,

I don't see anything negative in your words and your statement. It is a though question. That's all. I think if they'd charge a small fee that would be fair. You see here in Germany we do pay authors and musicians via a company that collects fees even from copies you make from pages of books!

That's bit weird, but it works, the consumer doesn't even notice and the creatives get their money. I think that's just fair.

As far as I can remember, in the starting days of the internet there was something called napster, a music download thing. The music industry hated it, then they bought it, couldn't figure out how to use it. And it died, and along came new illegal download stuff. Pause for almost 10 years. Along came Steve Jobs, used all the technology that was there and sold music for small fees on an unbeatably well designed device - what a success!

I think that if the huge companies wouldn't be that greedy, people would pay. And if they allowed people to make private copies for themselves that wouldn't hurt much then, right? I think that the copyright protection madness doesn't help it. It never will. There are too many nerds out there who take it as a challenge to tell the companies who's boss...

Cheers!

webmistress

"I don't know. I need help. I'm sorry. And something else. [...] I forgot it."
~ Armand Gamache

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck." A simplified version of Occam's razor.

Moderators: webmistress
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds

We use cookies on our website. Read our Policy